It’s been quite a while since I have been able to sit down and put together a post. I haven’t been home in a few weeks, traveling to Michigan for a family vacation and then Pennsylvania right after for work. However, I’m happy to report that I’m back for a few weeks and will be trying to hunker down and actually put forth some quality posts.
Eating while traveling can mean a lot of unhealthy options and dinners out, so when I get to get home for a few days, I try to meal plan some healthy dinners straight away. Having made this dish by accident once before when I was in a jam and didn’t know what to serve, I am happy to announce that it’s become a repeat entree and is easy, healthy and very filling. It’s delicious with a dollop of sour cream and a few dashes of hot sauce!
Things that you can throw in a crockpot and walk away from are always high on my list and this one is no exception. It’s a mix between a shredded chicken dish and a chili and can be served right into a bowl, on a chip or inside a tortilla.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thighs or preference cut of meat. I used one pack of chicken breasts and one pack of chicken thighs this time. Last time I used all thighs because I like dark meat better. Approximate weight is 3lb of chicken. (This recipe makes a lot! So use that amount if leftovers are your thing)
- 1 bell pepper, diced (any color)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced (optional)
- 1 – 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 1 – 14.5oz can can diced tomatoes
- 1 – 15.5oz can black beans
- 1 large jar (24 oz) salsa (I recommend a thick consistency and medium to hot variety, but i like everything spicy)
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder
- 1 cup uncooked brown or white rice (I use brown)
- Place diced pepper, garlic, onion, and jalapeño in slowcooker
- Lay uncooked chicken on top of vegetables and salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle with garlic poweder
- Pour green chilies, tomatoes, black beans and salsa to cover chicken
- Set slowcooker on high for 4.5 hours
- When there’s about 45 min left on cooktime, cook rice according to directions on bag
- Once cooked, remove chicken from crockpot and shred using fork to desired consistency, return shredded chicken to pot and stir to combine
- Add in cooked rice, stir to combine and place cooker on high setting for 10 minutes
- Grab a bowl, tortilla, or chips and enjoy. I recommend having all of your favorite toppings… shredded cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, etc.
Just dice, place, pour and walk away…shred, add rice and enjoy an easy, healthy dinner.